The final report for April from the iTunes Music Store is as dismal as any we've seen. Let us hope May brings better days with so many promising new albums coming our way (keep an eye on our weekly preview of new releases, New Music Tuesday, to stay up to date on these).
Those dunderheads Ryan Lewis & Macklemore continue their hot-selling ways and while it's true they can't be called one-hit wonders, I still don't see much of a shelf life for these blokes. Again, likely wishful thinking on my part because I would have said the same thing about Pink many years ago and she's still with us and riding high in the charts along with Justin Timberlake and Rihanna. We'll make a note for Darius Rucker, formerly of Hootie & The Blowfish, whose country career is flourishing and he's got the #10 song this week.
The polarizing Michael Bublé has the #1 album this week. He's immensely popular and works a musical style out of step with the mainstream but critical opinion is divided where he's concerned as he seems to upset traditionalists in the jazz universe. I'm in the neutral camp here, having not given him any particular attention. His fans have shown up, though, and he takes this week's top slot.
The "surprise" in the albums chart is Fantasia's latest appearing in the Top 5. The former American Idol winner has been a middling chart performer since her victory. She hasn't fallen off the map the way many have nor has she had meteroric sales in the vein of Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry, etc. The rest of the list is similar to past weeks.
April is now in our rearview. Good riddance.
iTunes' Official Music Charts for the week ending April 29, 2013
- "Can't Hold Us (feat. Ray Dalton)" - Ryan Lewis, Macklemore
- "Just Give Me a Reason (feat. Nate Ruess)" - P!nk
- "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake
- "Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko)" - Rihanna
- "Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)" - Ryan Lewis, Macklemore
- "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons
- "I Love It (feat. Charli XCX)" - Icona Pop
- "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars
- "My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light Em Up)" - Fall Out Boy
- "Wagon Wheel" - Darius Rucker
- To Be Loved - Michael Bublé
- The 20/20 Experience - Justin Timberlake
- Bankrupt! - Phoenix
- Side Effects of You - Fantasia
- #willpower - will.i.am
- Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy
- The Heist - Ryan Lewis, Macklemore
- Indicud - Kid Cudi
- Night Visions - Imagine Dragons
- The Truth About Love - P!nk