It's time once again to take a look at the Top 15 albums at blues radio according to the Roots Music Report. We don't have a lot of turnover in the charts this week but I've really loved some of these records and am eager to check out a few I've not yet heard.
Tedeschi Trucks Band's outstanding Revelator continues to top our charts, followed by the Anders Osborne-produced Medicine by Tab Benoit. Benoit moves up a couple slots this week and Tracy Nelson slips just outside the Top 5. TTB and Benoit are joined by Terry Hanck, Hot Tuna, and Rod Piazza in the Top 5.
Hanck and Piazza are both on the Delta Groove label as are our next two records Victim Of The Blues from Nelson and Sister Vagabond from Candye Kane and Laura Chavez, the latter of which I'm listening to right now, preparing to review in the coming days. I'm intrigued by this one because Kane has been nominated for a slew of Blues Music Awards and I know many blues fans who are big fans of Chavez's guitar work. I've also got a date with Piazza's Almighty Dollar and we'll be discussing it in greater depth soon. In short, I have a lot of work to do, kids! Here's a review I can discuss in past tense on our Blues Chart; I reviewed Ana Popovic's Unconditional this week and it's a good one (she is another Delta Groove artist).
Other recent favorites for me on the chart this week include the Kenny Wayne/Duke Robillard collaboration. I'm glad to see this one getting some airplay. Robillard and his band were great musical foils for Wayne's piano and vocal work and while it's not heavy on "wow" moments, it makes for a damn satisfying listen. They're a good partnership and I hope the always-busy-doing-something Robillard is available the next time Wayne hits the studio. Speaking of the hard-working Robillard, he has a new album coming out this month. I'll have a review of that timed to its release Sept. 20 and I'm betting cash money we'll see it on this chart very, very soon.
Take a look at our Top 15 and where applicable the reviews and see if any of the hottest records of the moment might interest you. There's a lot of good stuff out there right now and more to come.
Blues Radio Top 15 | Week of Aug. 26, 2011
- Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator (BBS REVIEW)
- Tab Benoit - Medicine (BBS REVIEW)
- Terry Hanck - Look Out!
- Hot Tuna - Steady As She Goes
- Rod Piazza & The All Mighty Flyers - Almighty Dollar
- Tracy Nelson - Victim Of The Blues (BBS REVIEW)
- Candye Kane - Sister Vagabond
- Ray Bonneville - Bad Man's Blood
- Rory Block - Shake 'Em On Down|A Tribute To Mississippi Fred McDowell (BBS REVIEW)
- Kenny 'Blues Boss' Wayne - An Old Rock On A Roll (BBS REVIEW)
- Marcia Ball - Roadside Attractions (BBS REVIEW)
- Booker T. Jones - The Road From Memphis (BBS REVIEW)
- John Mays - I Found A Love
- Ana Popovic - Unconditional (BBS REVIEW)
- Gregg Allman - Low Country Blues (BBS REVIEW)