Shemekia Copeland is once again our #1 this week at blues radio followed by Chris Smither, Robert Cray, and Gary Clark Jr. I've spent a good bit of time with the Cray and Copeland records and you might have read about Gary and his Blak & Blu album on this site once or twice so you might know I'm pleased with what's being played for the citizens.
Our rising entrant this week comes from Ben Harper and Blues Hall of Famer Charlie Musselwhite. They've collaborated on an album called Get Up! for the reborn Stax imprint. The record doesn't get released until later this month but is already in the Top 5! I've never been a huge Harper fan but I'm such an admirer of Musselwhite; I'm going to have to check this one out for myself when it streets.
The next set of records on the charts this week include the latest live album from Buddy Guy, Live At Legends, which I've already reviewed and quite enjoy.
I love seeing Eric Bibb's amazing Deeper In The Well on the charts. He's such a special, gifted artist. I've picked up the majority of his discography over the past year and its depth and beauty is staggering. Deeper In The Well stands among the best of those works.
There are some records on this list I still need to check out and I'm making a mental note to do just that. Here's your Top 20 records for the past week at Blues Radio according to RootsMusicReport.
- Shemekia Copeland - 33 1/3
- Chris Smither - Hundred Dollar Valentine
- Robert Cray Band - Nothin' But Love
- Gary Clark Jr. - Blak And Blu
- Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - *Get Up! *
- Buddy Guy - Live At Legends
- John Lee Hooker Jr. - All Hooked Up
- Rick Holmstrom - Cruel Sunrise
- Various Artist - First Came Memphis Minnie
- Julian Fauth - Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right
- Hans Theessink & Terry Evans - Delta Time
- Lee Harvey Osmond - The Folk Sinner
- Eric Bibb - Deeper In The Well
- Guy Forsyth - The Freedom To Fail
- Smokin' Joe Kubek & B'nois King - Close To The Bone
- Magic Slim & The Teardrops - Bad Boy
- Jake Lear - Diamonds And Stones
- Al Basile - At Home Next Door
- John Nemeth - Soul Live
- Mighty Sam McClain - Too Much Jesus (Not Enough Whiskey)