Stop me when you've heard this before: Tedeschi Trucks Band is the #1 album at blues radio. It's funny though; the long runs at #1 by Tedeschi Trucks and earlier Gregg Allman started to make me yawn a bit to the point I forgot why these records have been so successful. I didn't listen to Revelator in its entirety this week but did hear a few of my favorite songs from it and I remember what I like about it so much.
They're joined in the Top 5 by Hot Tuna (a record I still need to hear), Tab Benoit's Medicine, Rod Piazza's Almighty Dollar and Terry Hanck's Look Out.
I mentioned Gregg Allman a few minutes ago- he's back in the Top 10 this week. I know the Grammys have made an asinine decision to consolidate the Blues category but I'm making Low Country Blues my odds on favorite to win the award this year. I know; I'm really going out on a limb.
Rod Piazza, Candye Kane, and Ana Popovic have both been on the charts a little while now but their records are relatively new to me, Rod and Candye having just been reviewed in the past week. I've enjoyed them. I really like some chunks of Booker T. Jones' The Road From Memphis and have found myself playing songs from it in the Folk/Blues/Americana/Soul room at TurntableFM often.
The rest of the chart is filled with pretty familiar names although a few of them were absent last week, rebounding this week (Tommy Castro's live revue, MonkeyJunk, Mike Zito). I expect we'll see some shakeup with upcoming records from Duke Robillard and Maria Muldaur, which can't get to my house fast enough! I loved Passport To The Blues and have a hunch Duke is about to deliver another winner. I'm also eager to hear what Maria has come up with this time, being one of our finer song interpreters.
Here are the Top 20 albums at blues radio according to Roots Music Report for the week of Sept. 9, 2011:
1. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator
2. Hot Tuna - Steady As She Goes
3. Tab Benoit - Medicine
4. Rod Piazza & The All Mighty Flyers - Almighty Dollar
5. Terry Hanck - Look Out!
6. Tracy Nelson - Victim Of The Blues
7. Gregg Allman - Low Country Blues
8. Ray Bonneville - Bad Man's Blood
9. Rory Block - Shake 'Em On Down A Tribute To Mississippi Fred McDowell
10. Ana Popovic - Unconditional
11. Booker T. Jones - The Road From Memphis
12. Kenny 'Blues Boss' Wayne - An Old Rock On A Roll
13. Mike Zito - Greyhound
14. Various Artist - Tommy Castro Presents The Legendary Rhythm & Blues Revue - Live
15. George Thorogood & The Destroyers - 2120 South Michigan Avenue
16. Marcia Ball - Roadside Attractions
17. John Mays - I Found A Love
18. Candye Kane - Sister Vagabond
19. Johnny Winter - Roots
20. Monkey Junk - To Behold