The Return Of The Brit! How excited are we about Britney Spears returning with a brand new single and seeing it vault all the way to #1? I know what you're thinking, and you're wrong. I'm not about to take my whacks at The Brit. I don't like her music and she can't sing for shit but for some reasons eluding me, I root for this trainwreck to not completely self-destruct. Of course it's bad music! I even listened to a clip in a rare masochistic moment. It's reasonably insipid but we should all be able to agree she's not the first person to rise to the top of these charts on the strength of a vapid, overproduced pile of digital rubbish.
Jordan Richardson reviewed Cake's sixth album Showroom of Compassion, which debuted at #5 this week. It's joined by Cage the Elephant's Thank You Happy Birthday, which was also released last week. Along with those two newer records we once again have the mighty Black Keys' Brothers on the charts. El Bicho reported they'll be at Coachella this year. We also have both volumes of the Country Strong soundtrack in the Top 5 this week.
Here is the complete rundown of albums and singles at the iTunes Music Store for the past week.
iTunes' top 10 selling singles and albums of the week ending Jan. 17, 2010:
- "Hold It Against Me" - Britney Spears
- "Grenade" - Bruno Mars
- "Tonight (feat. Ludacris & DJ Frank E)" - Enrique Iglesias
- "Firework" - Katy Perry
- "Black and Yellow" - Wiz Khalifa
- "What the Hell" - Avril Lavigne
- "The Time (Dirty Bit)" - Black Eyed Peas
- "We R Who We R" - Ke$ha
- "6 Foot 7 Foot (feat. Cory Gunz)" - Lil Wayne
- "H.A.M" - Kanye West, Jay-Z
- Country Strong (More Music from the Motion Picture) - Various Artists
- Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
- Thank You Happy Birthday - Cage the Elephant
- Country Strong (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists
- Showroom of Compassion - Cake
- Brothers - The Black Keys
- Rehab: The Overdose - Lecrae
- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
- TRON: Legacy - Daft Punk
- Doo-Wops & Hooligans - Bruno Mars