It's been awhile since our iTunes Chart Watch series was published and Adele is still dominating the scene! There are a few names, albums, and songs that have entered since our last time through the list, so let's take a look.
Let's start with the albums where Lil Wayne's Tha Carter IV has vaulted to the top spot. I can't recall having ever heard a song by Weezy -- and yet I'm knowledgeable enough to know his alias -- so I don't know what it is that has made him arguably the biggest star in hip hop, but his sales figures are undeniable.
Following him are a couple albums we've reviewed here, and by we I mean Heather. She wanted to love the new album from Red Hot Chili Peppers but instead only liked it. She adores Adele's 21 and her review of it is well worth revisting if you're one of the five people in America who haven't bought a copy. She almost made me buy one and I've yet to like a song I've heard her sing. Persuasive, that one. Jordan covered the Jay-Z/Kanye collaboration, which falls a few slots this week but remains firmly ensconced in the top five.
Rounding out the Top 10 are Mumford & Son's still hot Sigh No More and Pistol Annies' Hell On Heels. We had a snafu with a certain search enging that rhymes with "zoogul" and Heather's great review of this record didn't get the traction we think it should have. The album is doing well on the iTunes charts as well as with country listeners. Give her review a read if you want to know why.
As for the singles, one of my music buddies is all about some Foster The People, whose "Pumped Up Kicks" is #2. My nieces begged and pleaded their mother to let them download "Moves Like Jagger." They were denied. They're still bitter about it. I'm not sure if it's a good call on a morals clause but I don't like Maroon 5 or Christina Aguilera so I'm calling it a victory for good taste.
Lady Gaga's new record was supposed to set sales records and, well, it hasn't but she's finally back in the chart with the single "You And I."
Here is iTunes' top 10 selling singles and albums of the week ending Sept. 5, 2011:
1. Tha Carter IV - Lil Wayne
2. I'm With You - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. 21 - Adele
4. Nothing But the Beat - David Guetta
5. Watch the Throne - Kanye West, Jay-Z
6. 1 - The Beatles
7. Barefoot Blue Jean Night - Jake Owen
8. Torches - Foster the People
9. Hell On Heels - Pistol Annies
10. Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
1. "Someone Like You" - Adele
2. "Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People
3. "Moves Like Jagger (Studio Recording from 'The Voice' Performance) (feat. Christina Aguilera)" - Maroon 5
4. "You and I" - Lady GaGa 5. "Lighters (feat. Bruno Mars)" - Bad Meets Evil
6. "Mirror (feat. Bruno Mars)" - Lil Wayne
7. "Cheers (Drink to That)" - Rihanna
8. "Stereo Hearts (feat. Adam Levine)" - Gym Class Heroes
9. "Party Rock Anthem (feat. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock)" - LMFAO
10. "Love On Top" - Beyonce