A musician friend of mine commented after making a long drive along the West Coast that American radio is completely dead. We've all heard such proclamations before and while I've tried to ignore it, the truth is I don't listen to music via radio anymore and I can't remember the last time I did. My radio presets are NPR and a couple local news/talk/sports stations. I'm sure some of that's because I'm a geezer at this point but it's not because I've stopped listening to music. I buy more music than I ever have.
I know, I know, I see you in the back jumping up and down, screaming about SiriusXM. Yes, I get it. I'm sure it's wonderful and I'd love some of the channels but I've decided to buy CDs I know I'll like rather than pay a monthly subscription for a small fistful of channels that might be playing something I'll love at any given moment. I'm not knocking you satellite radio listeners. I'm glad you've found something that fits your needs.
If you're wondering what this has to do with the top singles and albums at iTunes, go ahead and glance at the names and songs on that list. I haven't heard everything on the charts this week and I'm not likely to rectify that. There are a couple curiosities but nothing I'm downloading or ordering right now. It's obvious some of you are loving these, so tell me what I'm missing. Help me see the light.
iTunes' top 10 selling singles and albums of the week ending July 4, 2011:
- "Party Rock Anthem (feat. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock)" - LMFAO
- "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - Katy Perry
- "Give Me Everything (feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer)" - Pitbull
- "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
- "Stitch By Stitch" - Javier Colon
- "Rolling In the Deep" - Adele
- "Inventing Shadows" - Dia Frampton
- "Tonight Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae
- "How to Love" - Lil Wayne
- "The Edge of Glory" - Lady GaGa
- 4 - Beyonce
- Finally Famous - Big Sean
- 21 - Adele
- When the Sun Goes Down - Selena Gomez & The Scene
- Loaded: The Best of Blake Shelton - Blake Shelton
- Bon Iver - Bon Iver
- Hands All Over - Maroon 5
- This Loud Morning - David Cook
- Hell: The Sequel - Bad Meets Evil
- Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons